1.Jubril is hiding his sister on the bus ride._______________
2.Jubril boards a bus in southern Rwanda._____________
3.The “lost boys” are child victims from religious conflict in Nigeria.
4.What year did the Rwandan genocide take place?_______________
5.An estimated_____________ people were killed in the Rwandan genocide.
6.In the Rwandan genocide, most of the dead were ____________and most of those who perpetrated the violence were___________.
7The two clashing ethnic groups in Rwanda speak the same language._____
8. Monique’s mother “Maman” died from a lengthy battle with AIDS.______________________
9.Jubril makes a point of shaking hands with his fellow passengers using his right hand only._______________________________
10. Monique’s father tells Monique that when he dies the crucifix in their house will be passed on to the first born male in the family. _________________
What did you learn about the lives of children from reading Akpans ”Say You’re One of Them”?
This is a broad question that requires supplemental information (appropriately cited) in addition to what you read in Akpan.
Use the statistical tables from UNICEF’s State of The World’s Children Atlas http://www.unicef.org/sowc/
(any year going back 10 years) as well as the CIA World Factbook
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/docs/profileguide.html to provide as much information as possible relating to children’s lives in 3 of the countries that Akpan covers.
In addition, consult any websites, articles, Wells that we have covered in class (including ones you have consulted for journal assignments).
Organize your answer into 3 parts (one for each country) in an essay format. Each part is 15 points. Suggested length: 2-3 paragraphs per country. Proofread carefully.
You will be graded on:
- Your comprehension of the materials you cite, depth of your analysis and integration of information and examples from Akpan in your essay.
- The extent to which the material you include provides a comprehensive picture of the life of children in the 3 countries you selected.
- The overall clarity and organization of your essays.
STATE OF CHILDREN AND YOUTH IN THE UNITED
STATES OF AMERICA
Consult the following resource: Children’s Defense Fund www.childrensdefense.org.
Your task is to together put together a brief report (2-3 paragraphs) on 2 of the following 4 areas of concern for children and youth in the United States. You’ll find detailed information under the “Policy Priority” tab.
1.Juvenile Justice/ School to Prison Pipeline/ Criminalization of Children.
2. Child Poverty
3.Early Childhood Development & Learning
4.Health and Safety.
- Give a brief general overview and provide specific examples (minimum 3) that you believe best describe the nature of each issue.
- Give one example of what has been/ can be done to remedy each problem?