In preparation for a successful interview, write your responses to six interview questions from the list below, including the introductory question, two standard (traditional) questions you select, two behavioral-based (competency-based) questions you select, and then the final question. Your responses must be targeted to the position in the job ad and should include specific examples. Each response should take approximately 2 minutes to verbalize during the interview.
Introduce yourself to the hiring manager. Share your professional brand message. Explain why you are interested in the position you chose for this assignment (be specific) and why you believe you are a strong fit. Share the value you will bring to this position and organization.
Standard (Traditional) Interview Questions (Select 2)
- What are your strengths?
- What areas are you working to improve?
- What motivates you to get the job done?
- Share how previous supervisors and colleagues would describe you.
- What do you see as the biggest challenge you would need to overcome in this position within your first 90 days?
- How would you rate your organizational skills?
- How do you respond to stressful situations?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Why should we hire you?
Behavioral-Based (Competency-Based) Interview Questions (Select 2)
- Describe a time when you were creative in solving a problem.
- Describe a time when you worked effectively under pressure.
- Tell me about a time when you persuaded a colleague to see things your way.
- Tell me about a time when you had to resolve an issue with a coworker.
- Describe a time when you were forced to make an unpopular decision.
- Describe a time when you were disappointed in your own behavior.
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an irate customer.
- Tell me about a time when you were not able to complete a project on time.
- Describe a time when you set your sights too high.
- Describe a time when you delegated a project successfully.
Final Question: After conducting research on the company for the position you chose, share one question you want to ask the hiring manager that you cannot find the answer to on their website or on LinkedIn.
- Submit the complete job ad (not a screenshot or a link) for which you were interviewing and saved as: JobAdLASTname.docx.
- Submit the interview questions and your detailed responses as a Microsoft Word file. Be sure to identify the interview question categories for each of the six questions and responses. Name your file: InterviewLASTName.docx.